Friday, May 18, 2012


It's a gorgeous day May long weekend here in Winnipeg and I'm at home in bed sick as shit.
Who the hell gets sick in late spring?
I'm bored and figured I'll write something.
I have been asked many times how and why I do what I do.
I hate this question cuz it's a hard one to answer.
I just do what I do and don’t think to long and hard about it.
It's my pressure valve, it helps me cope with human beings, work and other shit that invades my life.
Here’s one aspect.
My day job.
I love and hate it. It's a gold mine for creative ideas, and serious pain in the ass. I must admit grumpy, bitter co workers, gossip and general bullshit that goes on is great fodder for a poem or two. My job  really doesn’t have any relevance in my life other then paying bills and putting food on the table. It’s far from satisfying and does nothing to enrich my life. Like most folks I get up go to work do my job as best I can.  Try not to watch the clock, live from break to break and at then end of the day, I’m outta there like a shitstorm. As soon as I walk out of the building I don’t waste any time or energy thinking about it.
On the flip side my job is pretty mind numbing which in turn allows for headspace to meditate on my poetry and how to go about it. I work alone so  I’m free to recited phrases, experiment with delivery, work out kinks and dead ends. I can stop for a second or two and jot down an idea or killer line that pops into my head, there are times when I over hear a conversation that’s very inspiring.
My day job keeps me in line and helps to keep me focused. What little time I have to indulge in my creativity is cherished and precious. If I didn’t have to work 8hrs a day at something I really didn’t care about I think I would waste a ton of time doing nothing. And I have to admit with out my job I wouldn’t be able to afford the stuff I need for my shows and performances. Nor would I have the opportunity to interact with people whom I would normally wouldn’t. Discuss ideas on racism, politics and society.

Art cannot be created in a vacuum.
The other thing my job does for me, is keep me honest. It is important and imperative to wear a mask and costume when at work. We live false lives 5 days a week 8hrs a day. The last thing I want to do is be a phony in the one area that give room to be who I really am.
So I guess it was in accurate of me to state my job has no relevance in my life.
It plays a major roll in the how, what, where, and why I do what I do.
With out my boring annoying job, I don’t think I would be as driven and dedicated to my art. 
Instead my job would drive me insane and I would become a pretty miserable person.

No comments:

Post a Comment